Table of Contents Hide
Even if you try to keep the inside of your car as clean as possible, dirt will build up and spills will happen.
If you have napkins or wet wipes on hand, you can clean up messes as they happen, but it takes a little more work to get that “new car” feeling back.
You can easily make the inside of your car look better by cleaning the floor mats.
The floor of your car receives more of the grime that sticks to the bottom of your shoes than any other.
It can also get food and drinks spilled on it, along with loose trash from pockets, bags, boxes, and anything else that goes in and out of your car.
Rubber and cloth floor mats both get dirty over time. Let’s see how you can clean them up easily and fast.
What You Will Need to Clean Your Car Floor Mats
Since rubber and cloth car floor mats are made of different materials, they are also used in different ways.
Just look below for the materials you need for the type of car mats you have:
1. For Cleaning Rubber Car Floor Mats
Vacuum Cleaner or Scraper
A vacuum cleaner is needed to get loose dirt off of rubber floor mats. Instead of a vacuum, you can also use a scraper.
Pressurized Water Hose or Bucket of Water
Rubber mats would be easy to clean if you used a water hose with a lot of pressure. If you can’t get it, you can use bucket water instead.
Cleaning Solutions For Rubber Mats
- Option 1: Washing-up liquid, baking soda, and water. If you don’t have laundry soap or baking soda, you can use any liquid soap instead.
- Option 2: Shampoo for washing cars, water, and a microfiber wash mitt.
An air compressor can do more than just dry clothes. It can also be used to dry floor mats.
2. For Cleaning Cloth Car Floor Mats
Vacuum or Shop Vac
To clean dirt and grime off of cloth floor mats, you would need a vacuum. It could also be used with a suction hose to pull water and dirt from the floor mats, but it would be much better to use a shop vac, which has a moisture-sucking function.
Baking Soda, Water, and A Brush with Stiff Bristles
Baking soda can remove stains and odors. It can be used on cloth floor mats by itself or mixed with water and scrubbed with a stiff scrub brush.
Tools for washing cloth mats
In addition to the things above, you need to choose one of the following ways to clean cloth mats.
Shampoo, Detergent, and a Brush with Hard Bristles
Another way to clean cloth floor mats is to use this mix of cleaning supplies.
Cleaner Spray and Brush
Cloth floor mats are easy to clean with a spray cleaner like a carpet cleaner or a store-bought cleaner for cloth floor mats. If you don’t want to make a car floor mat cleaner, you can choose either of these.
Vacuum with Steam Cleaner or Power Washer?
For another method, you would need either of these strong machines for cleaning. These can make it easier and faster to clean cloth floor mats. If you don’t have them at home, you can get them at any nearby self-service car wash.
Washing Machine, Detergent, Stain Remover, and Water
You can also use water, detergent, stain remover, and a washing machine. Using a washing machine also makes it much easier to clean cloth floor mats.
Dryer or Air Compressor
Cloth floor mats can be dried with either of these.
Cleaning Rubber Car Floor Mats:
More people drive cars with rubber floor mats in colder places where it rains and snows often. They keep water from damaging the interior of the car and dry quickly.
They still get dusty and dirty over time, though. In six easy steps, you can clean rubber car floor mats:
- Get out of the vehicle. You’ll be using water and cleaning products on the mats, and you don’t want any of those things to get into your car.
- Hit things to get rid of them. Hit the mat on the ground or another hard surface outside. You might need a scraper to get things off the surface if they are stuck there.
- Use a hose to clean. Use a water hose with a strong stream of water to get rid of loose dirt or crumbs. Don’t wash the side of the mats that touches the floor of the car. Only wash the dirty side.
- Use soap to wash. Add soap to the floor mat with a rag or a spray. Soap and water should make it easy to get the dirt off, but wipes, hand sanitizer, and a mixture of soap and baking soda also work.
- Rinse the soap off. Again, use a hose to get all of the soap off.
- Let the rugs dry. Before putting the mats back in the car, make sure they are completely dry. Find a way to hang them up to dry, like on a railing, wire, coat hanger, or something else.
Cleaning Cloth Car Floor Mats
Cloth floor mats are harder to clean than rubber ones, especially if they are already wet.
If they were wet for a long time and you didn’t have a chance to dry them, they might even smell.
There may even be stains on cloth mats that are hard to get out. To clean carpeted floor mats completely:
- Get out of the vehicle. You don’t want water and cleaning products to touch the inside of your car, just like you don’t want rubber mats too. Plus, it can be hard to move a vacuum around seats inside a car.
- Give both sides a vacuum. Vacuum both sides of the mat to get all the dirt and grime out.
- Add baking soda. By rubbing baking soda into the upholstery, you can get rid of stains and smells. You can also mix baking soda with water and use a stiff brush to scrub the mat to get the dirt off.
- Use something soapy. There are many ways to get cleaning products deep into the carpets and clean them well:
- Scrub with soapy water. Add two tablespoons of regular shampoo to the same amount of washing powder. Scrub hard with a stiff-bristled brush to work the mixture into the mat. After that, wash the soap off with clean water.
- Use sprays to clean. Spray a carpet cleaner on the mats and let it sit for 30 minutes. After the mats have taken in the material, use a hand brush to work it through the mats. You can also use a cleaner made for car mats, which you can find at many auto shops, or make your own.
- Use a steam cleaner, a pressure washer, or a washing machine to clean. You can use a vacuum with a steam cleaner or a power washer (often found at car washes) to clean the mats, or you can put them in the washing machine with regular detergent and stain remover.
- Vacuum the rugs once more. When you vacuum, some of the water and dirt will be sucked up. The best way to do this is with a vacuum designed to pick up water, but a regular vacuum’s hose attachments can also help.
- Dry the mats well. Mats can be dried outside or in the dryer. Do not put them back in your car until they are completely dry. If you do, they will make your car smell like wet socks.
Some Car Carpet Cleaning Products Recommendations
There are many kinds of soap you can use to clean the carpet in your car. You can use your regular laundry detergent, dish soap, or even shampoo.
You can also make your own carpet cleaners or buy ones that are made for cars. Some recommendations include:
Carpet cleaners for cars can be bought at most auto shops, and they usually come in a spray bottle.
- The Blue Coral DC22 Upholstery Cleaner Dri-Clean Plus picks up dirt and dust that has been ground in. It also has technology that gets rid of smells and a brush cap built right in.
- Car Guys Premium Super Cleaner is a water-based cleaner that gets rid of dirt and grime without leaving any smell or residue behind.
- Power Out, Turtle Wax T-246Ra! Upholstery Cleaner has built-in technology to repel dirt and get rid of odors, as well as a scrub brush that can be taken off.
DIY Carpet Cleaner: Mix this recipe in a bowl until the soap is completely dissolved and the mixture foams up. Use a stiff brush to scrub the carpet in your car.
- 3 tablespoons of grated soap
- 2 tablespoons of Borax
- 2 cups of boiling water
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil for a pleasing scent (optional)